Thursday, November 20, 2008

Silly long lists

I'm learning that I allow myself to get overwhelmed too easily. I often set expectations for myself that in a single day, are often too high and as the day winds down and the list still has items left that haven't been checked off, I feel a sense of defeat. I often overlook the 10 things I did get done and fail to realize that accomplishing all of them would have been next to impossible, I just see that I didn't finish.

I buzz around at a rapid pace, forgetting to rest, forgetting to eat, getting side-tracked at every corner adding new things to a list that was already too long . . . and I feel overwhelmed. Things need to be done, errands to to be run, people need to be visited, and planned engagements need to be honored. It's only noon and I already sense the failure creeping up. The day is far from over and I've already lost. I see the unmet goals of today and a jam packed week next week glaring back at me from my pocket calendar. Now I've failed next week too and it's only Thursday of this week. This is no way to be, in fact it's down right silly.

I'm recognizing this quirk in my character and I'm going to modify my way of thinking. It's only Thursday. I have tomorrow and the weekend to get things done and nothing will blow-up if anything on the list doesn't get finished. I will plug in things for me so I enjoy these days I have off. Matt is finally home from his busy work travels and time together resides as item #1 for the weekend. I already feel like more than a conqueror.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
This blog is my hope to somehow capture moments that would have otherwise passed unnoticed, gone by simply dismissed as mundane life. I'm just a girl who adores her husband, I love the job I get paid for and am inspired by the ones I don't. I love that God has designed my life as a perfect fit for me and today I get to live it!