Last week at bible study we focused a bit on John 15: 1-16 where Jesus is teaching us that he is the true vine and his Father the gardener. We discussed cutting off branches that weren't bearing fruit and pruning ones that were, but that to bear fruit it must remain on the vine, with Christ.
As I've mentioned before, the bible study I attend is called the Front Porch. Well, on my 'back porch' today God showed me this:
The speaking continued......we're given different seasons to prepare our branches for different fruits. None of these leaves are wrong, none less beautiful than the other, none without purpose. They are each simply in their season which cannot be rushed or it will hinder the following.
I struggle with the monotony and lack of mental stimulation as a stay at home mom. Laundry and dishes, meals and diapers, tantrums and baths......it's a beautiful gift that gets repeated in similar form each day. It isn't that I'm ungrateful or don't realize the impact and preciousness it carries, it's that I still struggle with aspects of it. I still long to do more, to do different, yet be here all the same.
This is my fruit and this is my season. I was chosen and appointed to bear fruit.....fruit that will last (John 15:16). It needs pruning and attention but my branches will not bear leaves like this for long. They will be plucked away, seeds once planted soon taking root, pushing through the soil reaching for the sun, stretching out branches of their own. I'll be in my new season, leaves a new color and I'll remember this tree. I'll hope the fruit I bore will last and I imagine I will wish for just one more day bearing the prior leaves.
I looked away from the tree and went to walk back inside. I was urged to look again. "Notice where that tree is planted, where that tree is rooted." I whispered out loud, "Beside still waters" (Psalm 23). On my toughest days He will restore me. If I abide in Him, He will abide in me. The tree isn't just near it or up higher on the hill, it is practically IN the water. Where do I find rest? How close to the water am I?


No comments:
Post a Comment