Friday, May 6, 2011

"I swing that one!"

I took my first of four, 1.5 hour introductory to digital SLR photography classes last night.  I've wanted to take a class since getting the camera for my birthday almost a year ago but I didn't prioritize it and it never got done.  A friend and I signed up and paid months ago for this class that only has 6 slots every several months in order to force ourselves to go and make it happen.  I'm glad we did because of course, things came up.  Matt wasn't available to watch Elyse so that meant getting a sitter, an alternate event popped up but I had to decline because in order to reschedule the missed class I would have to wait until August, right when I'm due.  Like many things, it took cornering myself into the class to make it happen and I'm thankful to be doing something I'm really interested in and learning how to put this expensive piece of equipment to use. 

Other course options that seemed to better suite my schedule were full day classes on a Saturday.  That probably would have been easier to accommodate than 4 consecutive Thursday evenings but after just 1.5 hours of "basic" information I'm very glad I'm not getting bombarded with gobs of information all in one day at one time.  With the information broken up in segments with a week in between to play with the camera I think I'll get more out of it and learn better that way.

So, I have officially been introduced to aperture, ISO, and shutter speed.......how exactly it all works together to get what shot in what environment was touched on as well but I've definitely got a lot to learn. 

I took Elyse to the park today, camera bag and class notes in tow and toyed with my new knowledge.  I was all thumbs turning dials and adjusting things, flipping back to my notes and adjusting some more.  I got a few good shots and with all my fumbling I'm just thankful the moment didn't pass me by.

She asked to swing in the "big swing" and it was low enough to the ground I felt comfortable letting her try.  She was beside herself with excitement to be accomplishing such a big task.  I love seeing her like that, proud of herself while also appreciating such a simple pleasure. 

Uploading these photos felt good tonight.  I had a rough afternoon with her.  I had to wake her early from a nap for a scheduled house showing and if there is one thing this kid needs, it's sleep.  As dinner time approached, she and I met with some friends at Ikea to eat (kids are free on Friday's) and she really started acting out, and I mean royally.  I wondered whose kid she was and where she came from.  Of course I was embarrassed but I got over that quickly, handled it firmly, emotionless and quickly.  Notice I didn't say perfectly because I'm sure I didn't.  Certain things, regardless of circumstances, will just not be tolerated.  It will make life easier for everyone if she could accept that fact sooner than later but I have a suspicion that will not be the case. 

After her big emotional toddler display of how she felt things should go was handled, we proceeded to get our food in much better spirits.  I was honestly impressed with how much better she was doing and was feeling confident in my parenting tactics, then we got our food.  Nothing was good enough.  She didn't want what was presented to eat, didn't want her cup but the cup of a neighbor, didn't want to sit in the high chair, just flat out didn't want to be agreeable.  Fine. 

We came home, she got her bath and was asking for certain dinner foods.  I explained we had dinner at Ikea and she chose not to eat and that we were done talking about it.  She was snuggled, I read her books and prayed over her like always, but she went to bed without dinner.  

Parenting is not easy.  The icing on the cake was that the likely culprit of inadequate sleep because of the showing didn't even end up being necessary.  The showing was cancelled but I didn't find out until much too late.  Geesh.

After all that it was nice to see this precious face on my computer screen tonight.  She really is such a sweet, amazing child and I'm thankful, though challenging, that I get to be here for all of it.  In between bible study sessions, Women in the Word is doing a brief study on the temperament's and I've never studied those before.  It really is fascinating and so freeing to learn about God's wiring in us and I'm excited to see Elyse's temperament revealed to us and how that will affect our parenting. 









No, I must be mistaken.  That sweet face couldn't have possibly turned so sour just hours later.  Tear soaked cheeks and snot running out of her nose while screaming her frustrations and hitting a table.......couldn't have been.

I don't mind being the bad guy when it's necessary.  I don't mind setting things straight and guiding her with discipline.  I do struggle with the days where, because of her behavior, I feel like I'm the bad guy more than the good guy.  Where it feels like I spend more time reprimanding than enjoying her, even though I know that isn't the case, it can still be hard. 

What in the world am I going to do with two children?!?!  Fall deeper in love with being chosen for this task.  I'm capable because I was prepared in advance for this very job, that truth alone straightens my spine everyday.

I'm surprised I ended up writing all of that.  I jumped online with the intention of posting a few quick swing pictures.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
This blog is my hope to somehow capture moments that would have otherwise passed unnoticed, gone by simply dismissed as mundane life. I'm just a girl who adores her husband, I love the job I get paid for and am inspired by the ones I don't. I love that God has designed my life as a perfect fit for me and today I get to live it!