That title feels so odd to type. Most parents feel that way at their child's first birthday, but Adley turning one completely seemed way too fast. I mean seriously, where did her first year go? As I read her birth story through tears the other night remembering it all, every emotion was still so fresh just beneath the surface of time. There seems to be such a thin layer of months and milestones covering that beautiful labor day memory last year. Time has flown, yet it truthfully feels as though she's always been here, like we weren't THE Borrack family without her.
As I reflect on her first year there is heartache as well. For a time we feared she was blind, or even the possibillity of greater challenges than that if her brain were involved. I never imagined celebrating brain-health or eyesight in my daughter's first year, but we did! We were even told at one point that she didn't fold her legs correctly when she sat, that they were too stiff, "dolls legs" they called them and physical therapy was mentioned. Such a different first year than what I hoped for. But with trials come gratitude and with heartache comes hope. We're better people for this first year of Adley's. Stronger, informed, aware, closer, united.......it's been a beautiful year.
But this post is about Adley, so let me get to that.
Adley, You. Are. Amazing. I was just thinking, you're a year old and I can honestly say you have never given us one "bad night". I didn't have the sleep-fog or exhaustion that I did with Elyse or the doubts that come from a baby who won't stop crying for hours at a time. You were born a peaceful sleeper and still are. You go with the flow like it's your job, and at times it is, but you will not settle for mealtimes being off by the slightest bit. You love food. You eat anything and everything. I would love to tell you what your favorite food is but I have no idea. You enjoy fruits, veggies, gulp your almond milk and can eat more than one avocado in a sitting if I let you. We aren't used to this with Elyse who has been a delightful challenge to nourish. You aren't walking yet but are taking steps. It's super cute actually, your top half wants to go faster than your bottom so you've definitely hurt your upper lip a few times figuring that out. You don't like books. At all. We try to read to you before both naps and at bedtime and you push them away over and over. You sister has always wanted to read 60 so this is new for us as well. You crawl like a crab with both feet and hands. Walking would seem easier to me, but it's your thing and you do it well. You sigh in your sleep. Loud, super sweet and super random. It makes my heart smile every time I hear it over the monitor. Your crazy alphalpha sprout hair that used to stand on end regardless of effort has finally succumbed to the affects of gravity and lays quietly on your head. I miss the spike. You say "da-da" and some other noise that sounds like an espresso machine. You're rough. You hit and pull and pinch and bite. You weigh 22 pounds, your sister 28.....a match will likely be had in the near future. You don't cry easily but when you do you're hard to comfort. You want your blanky/snuggy and your thumb then settle fast. Oh your thumb. I sucked mine until I was 9 and even then it took great effort to stop so I'm nervous for us with that. You enjoy it, it comforts you, so for now have at it sweetheart. You make me appreciate the simplicity of life and the complexity of miracles. You light up our home. There is a unique and very special contagiousness about you. It's impossible to be in a room with you and not be happy, not be thankful. I hope the contentment and peace that you possess spread like wildfire, even if it's just in our home alone. You are a gift. You are loved. You are perfect. From the depths of your mother's heart who shares your middle name, happy first birthday Adley Lyn.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Ursula
- This blog is my hope to somehow capture moments that would have otherwise passed unnoticed, gone by simply dismissed as mundane life. I'm just a girl who adores her husband, I love the job I get paid for and am inspired by the ones I don't. I love that God has designed my life as a perfect fit for me and today I get to live it!

1 comment:
Happy 1st Birthday, beautiful Adley!
(P.S. it took me 5 times to post this comment b/c I couldn't read the verification word properly!)
Post a Comment