Adley's birth story truly began almost a week before actual labor did. Mentally the false alarm we had 6 days before she was born was when, for me, the long wait for her began. Knowing I was walking around at 5cm and nearly 100% effaced made me wonder everyday if today was the day. As the hours of leaving the birth center turned into days, I doubted if I would ever go into labor on my own. I continued to have runs of contractions on and off but still awaited the big event. I had my 41 week tests scheduled to ensure we were both healthy but I hoped I wouldn't need to keep those appointments. I didn't pray I wouldn't have to because I trusted His timing, but I did hope they wouldn't be necessary.
I never ended up needing the testing or appointments.
I had good days and harder days and physically things were starting to get more uncomfortable with her sitting so low at a zero station. I prayed and with each prayer my confidence and trust were strengthened. As excited and anxious as I was to meet her, I must admit, I was equally as excited to experience her entrance into this world at Breath of Life surrounded by staff who believed in what I was doing and the God I was serving in the process. I wasn't a patient having a baby, I was part of a family, supported and uplifted each time I went. Phone calls and emails, encouragement and hugs, met me at every corner throughout my care and it's been emotional to have it end.
Back to her story........
Sunday was a good day. The worship songs at church that morning tugged on my heart and I sang to Him with eyes filled with tears. I was emotional from lack of sleep from the runs of contractions the night before and the let down that once again they didn't turn into anything. It was one of the emotionally harder days I'd had. Well meaning people continually were checking in wanting updates and wondering if this baby was here. I somehow equated that with an inadequacy in me even though I knew better. People kept suggesting just eat this or do that and labor is sure to start, as if it were somehow my fault I went past my due date and as if something was wrong with that. I knew better, I knew much better, but it was sometimes still hard to to hear.
I was determined to lift my spirits that afternoon so we took Elyse to the park and it did feel good to enjoy the fresh air, just the 3 of us. Unknown to any of us, it was our last outing as a family of 3. We had leftover lasagna for dinner and watched a movie on the couch before heading to bed early.
About 12:30am I awoke with minor discomforts and was certain I just needed to use the restroom. I got back into bed and got up again with more pain around 12:45. By 1am I was certain something could be going on but was so afraid of causing another false alarm, especially in the middle of the night on a holiday weekend. I awoke Matt and asked him to help me make a decision (my mom had just gone home 12 hours prior after awaiting the false alarm for 5 days with us). He took one look at me and said, "We need to go." As if he had rehearsed it all along, he called our friend Lindsey, who lives minutes away to watch Elyse. He then called our midwife and loaded the car. We were out the door around 1:30am and Matt got a hold of my mom along the way. The early morning hours gifted us a quick, traffic free drive and I'm extremely thankful for that. I was very uncomfortable in the car. Breaking and accelerating exacerbated the pain but I knew I had to maintain control. I'd been longing and hoping for these pains and I began to silently give thanks for my body performing it's purpose. Each one brought me closer to her.
I couldn't even tell you the timing of the contractions, they were strong and frequent but so much shorter in duration with rest periods in between which I did not have with my induction with Elyse. I remember thanking God for those lulls, they were beautiful and gave me moments to soak in all that was happening for the duration of my labor. I could focus during pain and be present during the pauses. It was beautiful.
Upon arrival the tub was still being filled so I labored using the birthing ball until I could get in. I nearly jumped in once it was full and it felt amazing!!! I didn't want to get out. Within a few contractions my body began pushing almost involuntarily. I went with it and in moments her head was out. I felt her turn herself and rotate her shoulders to complete the process while feeling her little kicks propel her efforts. I was amazed to have such miraculous sensations! My water broke with the delivery of her shoulders revealing a tight cord around her neck. Just like with Elyse, my water breaking at the last possible moment protected her from stressful effects that can have on such a tiny frame. Another push and there she was beneath the water being lifted up to me. Adley Lyn, whose name means "my ornament" (we found out we were pregnant with her on Christmas Eve and I told Matt using pastel pink and blue Christmas ornaments, and Lyn is my middle name) was finally in my arms.
My placenta gave us a brief scare as the minutes wore on before I finally delivered it after needing a shot of pitocin in my leg to help it along its way. It's funny, I gave birth to an 8 pound 15 ounce baby without any medication but I winced and looked away during that tiny shot.
Adley never left my skin or Matt's skin until we said we were ready for her assessment. She nursed beautifully after delivery and continues to do so even as I type. We rested, showered, and enjoyed her before packing up to head home 4 hours later.
Elyse never missed a beat and met Adley just after her breakfast.
She's a sweet baby and thus far is beyond content with just about anything, I know that will change, but for now I will just enjoy our honeymoon time with her. The love was immediate and intense. She fills a void we didn't realize was there until she filled it.
Welcome to the world Adley Lyn Borrack
September 5, 2011 2:56 a.m.
8 pounds 14.5 ounces, 21 inches long



2 comments:
What a beautiful story, Ursula! Welcome to the world, little Adley Lyn. Can't wait to meet her. =)
Wow what an awesome birth story! Love ya!
Post a Comment