Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Christmas 2011

This was Elyse's 3rd and Adley's first.  For the first time this year we got a child-friendly nativity scene and played out the story of Jesus' birth several times before the day celebrating his arrival was finally here.  I awoke with excitement and before anyone else.  I think this was the year that will set it all into motion for Elyse.  She slept until after 8 a.m. as usual, unknowing what awaited her that morning but she picked up on my excitement very quickly.  I was overwhelmed with thanks that morning, a giddy thanks for what we were celebrating and who I was celebrating it with. 

A tradition my family had growing up was eating Pillsbury cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning and Matt and I have continued that.  This year we put a candle in one of the rolls and sang "Happy Birthday" to Jesus before anything else happened that morning. 

We spent Christmas eve with my family at my mom and Tim's and Christmas morning was spent with just our own little family before Matt's dad and Kathy joined us early that afternoon.  Christmas ended with sunset at Madeira Beach where we visited with friends, Kristin and Rone', and their family.  It was a busy, eventful and wonderful day.  The sounds, sights and smells of Christmas are familiar and comforting childhood reflections, yet changing and new as I celebrate the birth of Jesus with my own family in our very own ways. 

 She got a new shopping cart and has thanked us several times for it each day.
 Elyse has a personalized chair just like this that has gotten lots of use so we got one for Adley as well.
 The anticipation of unwrapping.
 Making sure Adley got her turn with gifts as well.  Here Elyse is showing them to her.
 More unwrapping.
 Coloring in her new book.  I love the way she looks when she's concentrating.
 Crawling under the tree for those last few gifts.
 Helping Adley with hers.
 Adley enjoying her new table toy.
 My girls.
Reading a new book with grandma Kathy.

The next two are Christmas eve, I'm sorry I went a little out of order but too tired to go back and fix it.

 This was the first gift she opened of the season and would have been satisfied at that.  She wanted to break into it right away....better things awaited though.  Once she caught on, the slow pace she began with went out the window and she was tearing into paper like most kids do.  We did however, let her open things and play with them as she asked and made sure she realized who gifts were from and that we gave gifts as well.  I tried several times to reiterate that we were giving gifts to celebrate the gift Jesus was to us and to the world.  I'm not sure if she saw past the Play-Doh though.
My mom got the girls a new wagon, a Cadillac for sure.  Padded seats, individual sun canopies, a cooler on the back and cup holders for everyone.  It's a far cry from the $10 tin one I grew up playing with that tipped over at every sharp turn.  I have lots of fun wagon memories.

Former neighbors stopped by on Monday and Tuesday was back to work for Matt and normal routine for the girls.  Matt's schedule has been wonderful.  It's a 3 day work week for him after 4 days off and he's been leaving work during the 4 o'clock hour yesterday and today......I could definitely get used to this.  It's amazing how much more smoothly the evenings run with an extra set of hands and not as much crunch time before bed.  Plus, I just happen to love him and his company. 

No comments:

About Me

My photo
This blog is my hope to somehow capture moments that would have otherwise passed unnoticed, gone by simply dismissed as mundane life. I'm just a girl who adores her husband, I love the job I get paid for and am inspired by the ones I don't. I love that God has designed my life as a perfect fit for me and today I get to live it!