Okay, so Blogger made me install some sort of new browser to access my blog which is why I haven't posted recently. I just wanted to jump on and say I'm still here.
On a different note, our cat, Mandy, is not. Approaching her 25th birthday, she was put to sleep this past Saturday. It was just time.
The house is eerily quiet at night without her random loud yelping. Elyse asks questions daily about her coming back home. She's missed, her litter box is not.
I was in second grade when I got her and had her until after I had my second child. Elyse, in her second year of life, knew her well.
As I reflect back on Mandy's life with me it's amazing to realize how long I had her. Glasses, braces, boyfriends, college and kids.......I don't remember a milestone event in my life without her.
The vet on Saturday was great. I shed my share of tears and the vet seemed extra considerate and respectful of Mandy's age and our history. She said Mandy was the oldest cat she had ever seen and made sure I felt confident in our decision to put her to sleep. It was odd leaving without her. I've never left any phase of my life without her, so to leave her behind permanently took several days to sink in.
I feel better and better about it as each day passes. How fortunate I was to enjoy her companionship for so long! To some this all may sound silly, it's "just a cat", but she really was my family. I remember whispering secrets to her through tears in my bed many, many a nights when I was little. It used to bother me when as soon as I would get out my books to study, she would climb up and sit right on them. She slept next to me in bed for two decades, several years right on my pillow. We used to play hide-and-seek....I was the only one who would hide, but she could always find me. Remembering her young really showed me how much she had declined in age. She had probably been ready for awhile, it was me who didn't see it, me who denied it. I'm thankful I finally gave her the peaceful ending she deserved.
Goodbye Mandy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Ursula
- This blog is my hope to somehow capture moments that would have otherwise passed unnoticed, gone by simply dismissed as mundane life. I'm just a girl who adores her husband, I love the job I get paid for and am inspired by the ones I don't. I love that God has designed my life as a perfect fit for me and today I get to live it!
No comments:
Post a Comment