Yesterday we went to lunch with Mark and Kathy at the Cheesecake Factory at the International Mall. There is the cutest little boutique there and I got Elyse an adorable little dress for an upcoming family picture. I fell in love with these adorable little sandals to go with it, but Matt has a rule...."if you can't walk, you don't need shoes".....so Kathy bought them for h
er :). It was all on clearance so I really feel like we lucked out. Seeing her little dress hanging there like that reminded me of a picture I have of my own wedding dress and it made me realize that someday it will be her wedding dress hanging just like that...oh how I hope I can soak in the moments in between.
Saturday night Elyse went nearly 10 hours between feedings and I woke her up! Honestly....it made me so nervous I cried. It was her first night in her crib in her room (she has been in a bassinet in ours). I awoke early in the morning before dawn and my stomach turned. Did I not hear her on the monitor and she screamed for hours to the point of exhaustion? I checked the monitor and all was fine. I leaned over to Matt and said...."She never got up last night, I'm going to go check on her." After reading an article about SIDS just days prior, nothing but the worst was going through my mind and my eyes welled up with tears as I opened her bedroom door. The darkness and silence of the house exacerbated my fears and I could almost hear my own heart beating in my chest, "God...please let her be okay and if for some reason she's not....", I approached her crib and leaned my head over to peek. The rise and fall of her little chest was so subtle I questioned if I was really seeing it. I placed my hand on her little round cheek to make sure she was warm to the touch and as I touched her she grunted, squirmed, and a tear went down my cheek. In the past week or two she's slept 5 or 6 hour stretches and 8 hours once, but never 10. Maybe every new parent goes through something like that the first time their child sleeps that long, or maybe I'm just an overly nervous wreck...either way I let out the biggest sigh of relief ever, I hadn't even realized I'd been holding my breath. I'm so proud of how she seems to be getting her days and nights straight though. Even when she does wake at night it's just to briefly nurse and then she goes right back to sleep for another several hours. She is such a good little girl at night....day time naps can sometimes be another story, but those are MUCH easier to handle than being up at night.

No comments:
Post a Comment