Thursday, January 7, 2010

Mom of the year

I will definitely not be a contender for that title. I can usually brush it off when one thing happens, but they say things happen in three's and that held true this week. It all started with introducing bananas. She loved them. She had already had apples and rice cereal so I added banana's to the mix and she gobbled it right up. You wiser, more experienced moms are probably already anticipating what problem we faced next. You guessed it, constipation. I stopped that poor girl right up. I should have remembered from nursing school the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, apples, and toast) which is the diet of choice to help the opposite problem, in other words they are "binding" foods and I gave 3 of the 4 to her more than once. I noticed how uncomfortable she was and the difficulty she was having and once I realized I was the culprit I felt terrible. Who does that sort of thing? Especially a nurse who is cross trained in pediatrics. It broke my heart and I fed her veggies and prunes for the next several meals but ultimately another course of action that I will not mention was needed. Yep, mom of the year right here.
Incident #2: This is the story I told myself I was going to keep a secret but after blogging about showing "messes" I figured that would make me quite the hypocrite so here it goes. I went to bed, baby monitor in tow the other night and I awoke around 1:45am realizing the volume was up too high because I could hear every time she sighed, rolled over, etc., and it was waking me up so I turned the volume down. Apparently in my sleep daze I turned it down too low because I awoke a little after 7am and glanced at the monitor and saw that she was awake and crying, more like screaming. I jumped out of bed and ran to her room and lost a sock along the way. The poor girl was hysterically gasping, her eyes were red and puffy and I have no idea how long she had been crying. She usually gets up around then anyway so I'm hoping it wasn't for long but I'm thankful I don't know the answer because I have a feeling it was for much longer than my heart could handle hearing. This bothered me and ate away at me for so long. I felt horrible. I still don't think I've forgiven myself for that. Every time I start to get over it I just picture her scared and crying in her crib confused as to why no one is coming to get her. That thought breaks my heart. Thankfully a 6 month old forgets and they forget fast. She was her happy, cheerful self and had no residual sleeping issues so I am confident she really did forget about it. But no, mommy wasn't done doing damage here.

Incident #3: She got this little Pottery Barn chair for Christmas from my mom and she just loves it. She will sit and play with toys in it for 2o or 30 minutes. I think she likes it because she can sit up in it but if she falls to the side or back she is well supported. She was sitting playing in her chair and despite the fact that I was just a foot or two away she did a somersault right off the front. A toy had fallen off of the chair, she went to reach for it and KA-BOOM! It all happened so fast. I think she was scared more than hurt because she settled down rather quickly but I still felt terrible.
Then today...this isn't really an incident, more of a "that could have been bad" sort of thing". She has gotten more purposeful in her rolling and scooting but doesn't usually get very far. I was getting dressed to meet some girls from group for lunch and all of the sudden I heard this slapping and giggling. I peeked my head from my bedroom and she was laying in the middle of the tile floor slapping it and she just thought the noise was so funny. This sounds harmless enough but it's more the fact that I knew the only way she could have gotten to the tile was by rolling which meant she could have clunked her head on the tile at some point. I still don't' know how she managed to pull it off without hitting her head but thankfully she didn't.
No, I will not be a contender for mom of the year.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
This blog is my hope to somehow capture moments that would have otherwise passed unnoticed, gone by simply dismissed as mundane life. I'm just a girl who adores her husband, I love the job I get paid for and am inspired by the ones I don't. I love that God has designed my life as a perfect fit for me and today I get to live it!