At just 21 months I would have never thought Elyse was ready to be potty trained and had no intention of even attempting it before the baby was due when Elyse would be just 26 months. I had read it could cause regression, not to mention we had some big things going on with an upcoming move and hopes of transitioning her to a "big girl" bed to free up the crib that potty training was something that would developmentally and timeline wise need to wait.
I changed my mind. A month or two ago she began waking up in the mornings and from naps dry. She would also often announce or make obvious certain bodily functions. I got advice and an e-book from a close friend and with no more than a weeks planning I set the date and decided to go for it. With realistic expectations and skeptical confidence I went with the "3 Day Potty Training" method. I was mentally prepared for an intense 3 days and planned accordingly. I ensured the house was clean, laundry caught up, grocery shopping done, potty books and DVDs on hand, rewards and stickers in place next to a newly purchased potty seat that fit snugly on our adult one, and the plan to bunker down on house arrest for 3 solid days
Here's the breakdown of the events for those of you who asked.
Day 1:
26 pairs of Elyse-selected cotton panties were washed and ready when Elyse tossed all of her diapers in the garbage that morning. We said "bye bye" to them and had officially begun. I decided to track her progress and write down each time she did any sort of potty, anywhere she did it. I gave this up very quickly. 10 accidents before lunch without a single success caused me to quit my documenting. I knew how many accidents there were by how many panties I had to wash and that was ALL of them, thankfully I planned on that. The author suggested purchasing 30 pairs, the 26 was close enough for me and I could have used less if I had done laundry once or twice during the day. We have a lot of tile so it made the small puddles easy to clean up but there were definitely carpet accidents too. I certainly regret not picking up throw rugs but at least they were easy to wash. After 26+ accidents (including a #2), 0 successes, and a dry nap. I went to bed that night knowing we were right where I expected to be, but in my heart hoped we would have been further. I didn't realize she had such little trickles so often. Was her bladder developmentally ready to hold it for longer periods of time? I had no idea. I also don't know how many times I said the coined phrases of the book or went through the motions but it was much, much more than any fly on the wall would have cared to hear. We decided to wake her around 10:30pm on our way to bed to put her on the potty "just in case" and low and behold we had our first success! I was ecstatic but afraid the rude awakening and unexpected potty party wouldn't resonate. She was too sleepy to give a treat or sticker to or even really realize what had happened. It wasn't much but it was enough to keep me going with a positive attitude.
Day 2:
The late night awakening paid off, she woke up after a total of almost 13 hours of sleep completely dry! As soon as she awoke I took her to the potty and within moments we had success again! This is how to start potty training day 2! We went through another day of no real pattern to anything but by the time she went to bed the time between accidents was increasing which lead me to believe we were making slow and steady progress. There were 17 accidents (including a #2), 6 successful potty trips, and another dry nap. Again, I hoped we would be a little further because she still had never told me when she needed to go, but was more than content with where we were. I truly believed she was getting it. On day 1 when she would have accidents she would say, "uh-oh, mommy help clean up", as though someone had spilled something on the floor (this is what she says when she spills her cup). By the end of day 2 she was saying, "I go pee", as it ran down her leg. Though messy and challenging, that to me is progress and another reason to embark on day 3.
Day 3:
We didn't do the wake up trick at night and she did wake up a little damp but not enough to go through the piddle pad over her sheet. Day 3 I learned she goes pretty well on command but is still not telling me when she needs to go. When she awoke dry from her nap we went right to the potty and she went and about 20 minutes later she went running past me saying "I go potty". Really?!?!?! Could this be it?!?!?! She proceeded to do #1 and #2 in the toilet and let me just tell you, it was stickers, happy potty dance, and yogurt melts (her treat) galore! Once she got up, even she was doing the potty dance! It was great! We called daddy and he got in on the praise too. This was followed by a couple of accidents that evening but was a huge turning point for me. The day ended with 5 accidents and 7 successes, the first time the good outweighed the bad and I had plenty of clean panties leftover for day 4.
Day 4 you ask? You thought this was "3 day potty training"? Well, it is, but I went into it knowing she was younger than the recommended age, that every kid is different, and that it was just a place to start. It's given us a great, solid foundation to continue. The diapers are packed up and gone. I've emptied her changing table, diaper bag and car stash. They are gone. Our house arrest ended, travel potty is loaded in the car, and changes of clothes are packed in the diaper bag. We will do this. I know her and I know she is capable. It was 3 days filled with it's challenges but was also filled with love, encouragement and more positive reinforcement than I've ever showered her with. She was never punished, scolded, or forced to sit on the potty if she wasn't willing. I thought being contained would make us both a little crazy but it turns out she loved the one on one time and continual undivided attention (part of the method requires you to be attached at the hip to catch and correct any and all accidents). Bad storms gave an added excuse to stay in and encouragement from a close friend who believed in this method kept me going and it turns out she really was mostly potty trained in 3 days because day 4 and 5 had virtually NO accidents and was all success.
I'm proud of her and actually a little proud of myself. This process, though not complete, has taught me so much about parenting and I'm glad we decided to embark on this now. As my little girl sits quietly playing on the floor next to me wearing her panties it brings me such a feeling of confidence in both of us knowing that we can now work together on things. She is growing up, that's for sure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(111)
-
▼
April
(10)
- Elyse hasn't ever had a haircut and I'm not sure w...
- Health on a budget
- Pond
- Recent pictures
- Elyse finds my bible on our ottoman in the family ...
- I started this weekend right for the first time in...
- House update
- As mentioned in a previous post, a friend and I ma...
- A peek into her world at 19 weeks
- Potty Training
-
▼
April
(10)
About Me
- Ursula
- This blog is my hope to somehow capture moments that would have otherwise passed unnoticed, gone by simply dismissed as mundane life. I'm just a girl who adores her husband, I love the job I get paid for and am inspired by the ones I don't. I love that God has designed my life as a perfect fit for me and today I get to live it!
No comments:
Post a Comment