I love house cleaning when it's beautiful outside. Is that weird? I'm not sure why that is, but either way, today it's a good thing. Maybe it's because in Florida we don't get much of a spring, so at the first signs of fall I am inspired to do "fall cleaning". The sun is shining brightly, the air is crisp, light, and not too hot, in the background I hear the hum of a neighbors lawn-mower. It is gorgeous today and it inspires me to take on the "not so often" chores. I actually fluffed the throw pillows, rotated the couch cushions and vacuumed beneath them. I even moved the couches themselves to clean the tile under them. Would you believe that under our couches there were raw spaghetti noodles? That is one of my favorite and strangest snacks and apparently I left the remnants to prove it. It's kinda funny to me. There were also dust bunnies and dryer sheets, but I don't eat those. While playing "guess what dinner this stain was from", I cleaned the fronts of the kitchen cabinets. Apparently we eat spaghetti a lot. All are chores I probably don't do often enough, but none the less, they are well under-way. The house is beginning to take on the subtle scent of tangerine all purpose cleaner. Inhaling it awoken my senses and gently prodded me to tackle the next chore I had been putting off. Base-boards.
I seldom use the word "hate", my parents taught me, with good reason, not to say that word from a very young age and it stuck. It's a strong word. We were allowed to dislike things or prefer one thing over another, but not hate. So for you mom and dad, I greatly, super, as much as possible dislike cleaning base-boards. In life, we all must do things we don't want to do. I'm just thankful this doesn't take all that long.
I'm sure I don't do it as often as I should, but scooting around a room cleaning rag in tow, is not my idea of fun. I want to stop, but more so I want it done. Crouching down to clean them hurts my knees, they are red and begging me to stop. My back hurts from leaning and right now I'm thankful my house isn't one square foot bigger than it is. I'm in amazement at how dirty my rag has become . . . yes, I have put this off too long, but it's done!
The only chore I dislike even more than baseboards is cleaning the shower. How something we "get clean" in gets so dirty is beyond me. We have an enclosed glass shower, so lucky me gets to soak in the fumes of the strongest cleaners, scrubs, and bleach I own. I feel like a bar tender or some sort of scientist coming up with cocktails and concoctions to rid the crevices of whatever it is that resides there. My eyes are usually blood shot, my lungs hurt, and I'm soaked and sweaty after I'm done. This can't be healthy, and the worst part . . . the shower looks so insignificantly different when I'm done than when I started that I feel as though I have labored in vain. I comfort myself by knowing I had to have at least killed a few microscopic bacteria. But again, for this go around at least, it's done.
More importantly, I need to go eat something now. I have such a habit of go, go, go on my days off, that I often forget to eat until I'm light-headed. This is not planned or healthy, but somehow I do it nearly every day I'm off alone. I think I get so task oriented that I don't even notice. I'll all of the sudden realize I'm dizzy and that it's been hours since I ate. I'm usually so focused on the task at hand that I completely miss the hunger phase. If Matt is around, he eats every several hours so I never get this way because I eat with him. Why oh why do I do this over and over when I know it's not good for me?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Ursula
- This blog is my hope to somehow capture moments that would have otherwise passed unnoticed, gone by simply dismissed as mundane life. I'm just a girl who adores her husband, I love the job I get paid for and am inspired by the ones I don't. I love that God has designed my life as a perfect fit for me and today I get to live it!
No comments:
Post a Comment