I've overheard conversations, watched debates, and researched issues. I can honestly say, I am more "informed" this election than I ever have been in elections past. It's easy to get caught up in the finger-pointing and name-bashing competition of it all, and it's then that I said to myself, "What is the position God would want me to have in this?" Here is the conclusion I've come to: Christians often ask whether they should be a Republican or a Democrat or something else. In all actuality, few political issues are truly spiritual issues. As an example, we may prefer lower taxes, but the Bible does not endorse low taxes; all it says is that we are to pay our taxes honestly (Romans 13:6-7; Matthew 22:15-21). Taxes and many other issues (social security, universal health care, education funding, prescription drugs, etc.) are not spiritual issues the Bible specifically addresses. As a result, Christians can in good conscience have disagreements on these issues. There are issues the Bible does take sides on (abortion, gay marriage, etc.), and as Christians, we should support candidates that respect and honor those same morals and values.
However, and this is my main point, no matter who is in office, whether we voted for them or not, whether they are of the political party we prefer or not, the Bible commands us to respect and honor them (1 Peter 2:13-17; Romans 13:1-7). We should also be praying for those placed in authority over us (Colossians 4:2; 1 Thessalonians 5:17). We do not have to agree with them, or even like them, but we do have to honor and respect them. Politics is always going to be a difficult issue for Christians. We are in this world, but are not to be of this world (1 John 2:15). We can be involved in politics, but we should not be obsessed with politics. Ultimately, we are to be heavenly-minded, more concerned with the things of God than the things of this world (Colossians 3:1-2). As believers in Jesus Christ, we are all members of the same political party—monarchists who are waiting for their King to return (Revelation 19:11-16).
We live in an amazing country and I really do love America. I think we often take for granted the reality of our true and honest freedom. A country founded on the basic principle, "In God We Trust". As an American and as a Christian, I will proudly and confidently vote in this election. However, you will not see a bumper sticker on my car, a sign in my yard, or a shirt on my back regarding this, or any election. I will not allow myself to be overly caught up in this because I support someone much bigger and capable of far more change than those in the running. You can however know, I will honor, respect, and be on my knees in support of whoever God allows to lead this country.

1 comment:
very well stated and researched. You make some great points. The biggest thing is that whoever wins this election, God does call us to respect our authority whether we agree or not with the policies. Thanks, Julie :)
Post a Comment