Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Just getting around to you blog

This past weekend was very busy. Matt worked a half day on Friday so he could come home early and take over baby duty so I could go to a friends bachelorette party in Siesta Key. It was the first time I had ever left Elyse overnight and it went wonderfully. I was able to thoroughly enjoy myself and I was thankful for the little get away with the girls. For awhile now I've been saying that I would love to have a night without a baby monitor because although Elyse sleeps through, she will still make noises throughout the night that wake me. The thought of one long night of uninterrupted sleep sounds so refreshing. Well, I had no monitor Friday night, but I was sleeping on an old, creaky, beach bungalow pull-out couch next to my friend Rachel. We stayed up entirely too late and I would have slept much better WITH the baby monitor at home, although that wouldn't have been nearly as fun.

I came home late Saturday morning and the 3 of us just hung around the house. I was tired and actually managed to squeeze a nap in which was wonderful. It was a very lazy, relaxing day that Matt topped off by grilling burgers outside since the weather was so nice. We went to bed early because I had to work Sunday, so Matt had another full day of baby duty. He did all the feedings, naps, diapers, toys, bath, books, and even a load of dishes. My shift at work was smooth and fun and I came home that night to a delicious pot roast awaiting me. I sat down and started eating, it tasted so good and I was so thankful for the fact that he cooked it. I was eating away and Matt was sort of picking at his with his fork examining it. He said, "I think I cooked it too long, it looks a little over-done." He explained how he had gotten distracted by Elyse during cooking, etc. For the first time I think we both truly felt what it was like to be in the other person's shoes. I had worked all day, I was tired, I missed my little girl, and I was just happy to sit down with him for a hot meal. I didn't even pay attention to how the roast was cooked. I said to him, "Oh wow, is this what it's like when I cook and get all worried about it, do you really just sit down and appreciate the meal without thinking twice?" He said "Yes, definitely." That was such a refreshing moment to me and I'm glad we were both able to observe and appreciate a little glimpse of how the other person really sees things.

He did such a good job caring for Elyse, but I spent most of the day yesterday grocery shopping and establishing order in the house after a weekend of daddy daycare. To no fault of his own, the house was a mess. It's still not back up to par, but I can chip away at it today after Elyse and I go on a play date.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
This blog is my hope to somehow capture moments that would have otherwise passed unnoticed, gone by simply dismissed as mundane life. I'm just a girl who adores her husband, I love the job I get paid for and am inspired by the ones I don't. I love that God has designed my life as a perfect fit for me and today I get to live it!