Thursday, April 15, 2010

Made my day

A previous NICU mom found me in a NICU group I'm part of on Facebook. She posted a picture of her 18 month old sweet little boy and thanked me for the care I gave him over a year and a half ago. She even remembered that I gave him his first bath.

I would consciously try never to take that job for granted or discount the amazing things I was a part of, but try as I may I still forgot. I couldn't remember every face, family, baby or situation but when they remember me it melts my heart. My eyes well up with tears just thinking about it. When they seek you out all that time later for something that seemed so small at the time it humbles me. He was only there a week which to any sort of ICU nurse isn't long at all but to a parent it must feel like eternity. I probably only cared for him once or twice, yet she remembers. How many times do I leave a lasting impression, good or bad, and never really know? It must happen all the time.

I miss that job.

Time to go mop the floors and clean the high chair. I wonder if anyone will notice, much less really remember and be grateful. I don't mean that to sound the way it probably does because I love and am proud to be performing these job tasks, it's just ironic that's all.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
This blog is my hope to somehow capture moments that would have otherwise passed unnoticed, gone by simply dismissed as mundane life. I'm just a girl who adores her husband, I love the job I get paid for and am inspired by the ones I don't. I love that God has designed my life as a perfect fit for me and today I get to live it!