My last living grandparent, my grandpa Anders (who is in the center of this photo taken in Iowa a couple of years ago), passed away around 4:30 Easter morning. I shed some tears after getting the call from my dad but I found the sorrow didn't linger and initially I was ashamed of that. I somehow thought I should have cried longer and harder but I just couldn't. I didn't see the need. There were far too many things that worked together for good in the situation and all I could do was give thanks that God used it like He did.
He lived a long, full life and from what my dad said, he still had a good sense of humor just hours before he passed. I was notified last week that some health issues had surfaced and grandpa declined treatment options that were offered. Simply put it sounded like he was just ready. I admire that and I'm so thankful he was of sound mind and body to be his own advocate and have his wishes carried out. After years without much contact words were spoken, conversations were had and although I have no idea what was said I am fully confident and overjoyed that they were the perfect words at the perfect moments and I am once again amazed and in awe of God's perfect timing.
I won't go into details but I believe and have hope that because of his passing relationships are being restored, relationships that were once declared severed and hopeless may now be on the mend.
Death. People don't talk about it much. No matter what our faith or beliefs are in what happens after we die there are still so many unknowns and unknowns can be scary. I posted about this in the past and now the topic is surfacing again. I feel somewhat guilty that I am unable to say "I am ready to die". For some reason as a Christian I feel like I'm supposed to be able to say that and I can't. I'm not afraid of dying. I have security in my salvation and the glorious life promised to me when my time here is done.....but I can't honestly say that I'm ready. Does that make any sense at all?
I need to get going and get ready to go to the Pregnancy Center. We had a great Easter weekend and I'll post some pictures of that when I have a chance.

No comments:
Post a Comment