Thursday, September 24, 2009

Soda or no soda

Matt and I have always had a "budget", but until Elyse was here, it was a rather lose budget compared to how we manage things now. I whole-heartedly agree with and support our budget for numerous reasons. Anything we purchase has a category and a limit and my personality likes that. It may sound odd to some, but it works perfectly for our family and I'm very thankful we have it, but today it made me want to say..."Ahhhhhh!".

I was about to leave to meet the girls from group for lunch at Tijuana Flats but I hadn't had my normal morning can of soda yet. So I began to wager in my mind if I should drink one now (no, I had just brushed my teeth), order one there (they are so over-priced, but I really do enjoy it with my meal although water will do just fine), or bring my own can with me from home (no, then I would look REALLY cheap and it's probably rude to the restaurant). I thought about it the entire drive over there.....to order a soda or not to order a soda, yes, no, yes, no.....

Once I arrived and got to my seat I still hadn't made up my mind when the waitress came and asked me what I wanted to drink. Ahhhh! Here it is, the big moment and without thinking any further, I just blurted out "I'll have a diet coke, thank you." Phew, *sigh*, it was over and the decision was made.....thank goodness. Well, I then proceeded to drink my diet coke along with 2 refills...simply because I paid for it when there is no way I should have had that much soda. The lesson I learned in hindsight is that I didn't need to get the soda at all, water is much better for me and it's free, and I can drink my personal can of soda once I get home.

This is what the budget has done to me. It's not that it's so tight that I really have to worry about the cost of a soda, it's just caused me to think that much more about each and every dollar I spend, where it's going, and why. It's funny how much thought I put into a soda versus other things that I don't bat an eyelash about. I think it's because a soda is here and then gone, it's dispensable. The caffeine temporarily and falsely rejuvenates me, but has no lasting effect on my life or my day. Now, a new pair of shoes or an occasional pampering pedicure.....that's money well spent!

Yes, I apparently still have a long way to go but I'm learning, I'm trying, and I think my accountant husband is rather pleased with my efforts.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
This blog is my hope to somehow capture moments that would have otherwise passed unnoticed, gone by simply dismissed as mundane life. I'm just a girl who adores her husband, I love the job I get paid for and am inspired by the ones I don't. I love that God has designed my life as a perfect fit for me and today I get to live it!