In the midst of all my nesting, there are so many things about myself that seem to be surfacing. Maybe I'm being refined in the process of trying to prepare a home for our daughter, after all, what good is an adorable nursery and researched stroller if the mother's a mess.
I overwhelm myself. I often place unrealistic expectations of the things that I feel MUST be accomplished in a day. I begin fresh, pure, unscathed days with a mental chore list a mile long and before my feet hit the floor I know I've already failed. I buzz around at a ridiculous pace bouncing from one task to the next only to get side-tracked by one that wasn't on my list, but of course needs to be tended to right then. As I type this, I feel like I've written about this before. I have an inability to just relax and be still. Even at rest numerous things parade through my mind of synapsing neurons and it interferes with my ability to enjoy even the simplest of tasks. That's the odd thing....many of the things I do, in my heart of hearts, I like doing them. I love the sense of accomplishment and the reward of a clean house, empty laundry baskets, a stocked fridge, and a decorated nursery....I like that a lot. Somehow in my hustle and bustle I get away from the honor that it is to be doing those things.
Here is something new I'm trying to help change this about myself:
While I'm folding laundry I pray for the person or task it has to do with. For example, if it's Matt's work clothes I pray over him at his job and the things that go along with that. If it's my scrubs for the hospital, I pray over the babies and families I'm connected with each day and ask for guidance and patience for the incredible situations being faced. If it's my pregnancy pillowcase, I pray over my body and baby. My lab coat for the Pregnancy Center, the sheets for our bed, the hand towels for our kitchen...you get the idea. Before I knew it I was staring at a basket of blessings that had once been an item on a checklist anxiously awaiting to be crossed off by a hurried hand. It obviously took me longer to accomplish the goal, but the process was restored and a chore became a way to connect.
Hopefully I can keep this up and find new ways to slow down old tasks and restore the honor that so many "chores" truly are.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2009
(181)
-
▼
May
(16)
- Date night...probably the last like this for awhile
- Excited
- I haven't posted anything since Saturday because t...
- Lazy?
- Unspoken language
- Progress
- Lazy Monday
- Tired and thankful
- Continuing to learn
- Loosing myself
- I just got back from my first "mommies" lunch. Tw...
- Under the weather
- Mother's Day
- Baby updates
- Our daughter's name
- Chore basket of blessings
-
▼
May
(16)
About Me
- Ursula
- This blog is my hope to somehow capture moments that would have otherwise passed unnoticed, gone by simply dismissed as mundane life. I'm just a girl who adores her husband, I love the job I get paid for and am inspired by the ones I don't. I love that God has designed my life as a perfect fit for me and today I get to live it!
No comments:
Post a Comment