Thursday, January 29, 2009

Bigger really does mean better

I know it's only going to get more drastic, much more drastic, but everyday I feel bigger than the day before. . . much bigger. Don't get me wrong, I can still tie my shoes and feel healthy overall, and I have a feeling I'm going to be one of those people that LOVES being pregnant. I'm extremely thankful for all that, but today I feel oddly bigger. I continually look to Matt for words of encouragement as I grow by the day. He says I'm cute. That works plenty well for me.

I am coming to the realization that I actually look pregnant now. I think I was in denial of this, thinking I just looked bigger. At the store today I was buying the cutest baby girl outfit (on clearance for $3) and at the check-out the clerk asked me if I was having a girl. To be "having a girl" must mean I look like I'm having a baby, which means I look pregnant, not just big, so I guess that's good.

My 20 week check-up at the doctor went well as expected. This is the first visit Matt has not been with me at, and I'm glad I gave him the go ahead not to come. These visits are very routine: pee in a cup, weigh in, vital signs, palpate fundus, doppler heart rate, see you next time. I'm am generally in and out in 20 minutes total. Despite how routine they are, there is definitely something so reassuring about going. Just to hear the doctor say "everything looks great" or "you're right on target", today I even got "you're small still but everything is progressing perfectly" . . . who doesn't love to hear that. Her heart beat continues to amaze me each time I hear it, but I love having the daily reassurance of her movements now.

I went almost the entire first half of my pregnancy without gaining a pound and in a matter of a few weeks gained over 5! I didn't know if this was good or bad or what, so I asked the doctor about it and he said "well you had to gain weight some time, you're doing just fine." It just felt like a lot of weight fast, but she is growing and so am I, that's all that matters to me.

I quickly learned after getting into bed the other night that bigger really does mean better. For the very FIRST time I felt her kick from the outside of my belly, not just the fluttery squirmies on the inside. It was a definite thud and it was incredible! I let out a "Whoa!" and grabbed Matt's hand and placed it on my tummy. I have been waiting and waiting for the day when Matt could experience a portion of what I feel throughout the day. I have wanted to share the touch of our daughter with him in such an intense way. The moment has been long anticipated. We waited there patiently waiting to feel our daughter stirring again, but to no avail. He moved his hand and rolled over to go to sleep, and of course I felt her again in the same way. Figures. She is a comedian already.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
This blog is my hope to somehow capture moments that would have otherwise passed unnoticed, gone by simply dismissed as mundane life. I'm just a girl who adores her husband, I love the job I get paid for and am inspired by the ones I don't. I love that God has designed my life as a perfect fit for me and today I get to live it!