Sunday, January 25, 2009

Wonderful weekend

Friday night after work Matt and I went out to dinner at a neighborhood spot we have both come to love. I'm not sure what it is, but there is something about that place that causes us to linger there and we have shared some of our best conversations across those tables. The food is good but nothing spectacular and the atmosphere is nice but nothing to write home about, but it always seems to bring about a memorable evening. We have only ever been there on Fridays, so perhaps that adds to the ambiance for us. We like to stretch out our Friday evening so our weekend feels even longer, it was 11pm when we were heading home and the weekend already felt wonderful. Good Friday nights are like a sigh at the end of a long week in anticipation of the weekend to come.

We slept in Saturday, Matt made pancakes and I made smoothies (one of our favorite weekend breakfast treats). The weather was beautiful and we opened the doors and windows so the crisp air could consume our house. Family joined us for dinner and a dozen or so friends came over later in the evening to visit and play some games. It was so good to see everyone and people came from near and far which meant so much. As friends have gotten older, careers more demanding, children come along, and lives get busy, it's nice to take an intentional pause to goof off and just spend time together. We need to do that more often.

Sunday's weather was just as gorgeous and after church we took Oma to lunch at a nice little place on the beach. A band played Jimmy Buffett in the background as ocean waves caressed the sand in a song all it's own. Once home we took a late afternoon jog and even took a little detour into the woods until you couldn't hear the sounds of cars anymore, just our shoes crunching the leaves and birds chirping in a language all their own. We are going to grill out tonight for dinner and end the evening with a movie and our favorite ice cream on the couch. Now I'm home typing about it all hoping to somehow hold onto this feeling a little longer before the alarm clock blares with the demands of Monday and we endure the lengthy hours before a Friday night can coax us into our weekend once again.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
This blog is my hope to somehow capture moments that would have otherwise passed unnoticed, gone by simply dismissed as mundane life. I'm just a girl who adores her husband, I love the job I get paid for and am inspired by the ones I don't. I love that God has designed my life as a perfect fit for me and today I get to live it!