Jogging around an area I've lived in for a year and a half now has made me realize how much I've overlooked when I'm driving to or from home, so on this particular jog I brought my camera. Here are a few of the shots I captured on a random weekday at 4pm, not even looking for anything in particular.
Here is a sidewalk that is frequented by the rubber of my sneakers. I have actually gotten away from using my iPod while running. I have fallen in love with the sounds around me and of my shoes hitting the pavement. It's also become a time I focus on God and spend time in prayer.
In an effort to become increasingly aware of the large and small things of life and in hopes to try my best not to overlook or dismiss the mark of my Maker, this taught me a lot. So often I like to just "get away". I love to go somewhere for a long-weekend, even just one night or even the beach for the day will do. I dream of amazing places and love looking through photo albums of our vacations to Alaska, Hawaii, or Lake Powell and I long for trips like that again . . . all while overlooking my own backyard. Now I know it's no famous coastline or highly desired waterfront and it's not exactly my personally owned backyard, but if you tune out the cars buzzing by, the barking of dogs, and laughter of children . . . you're in the midst of nature at it's finest. The sounds of wind rustling leaves, the creak of tall trees swaying in tune to an unseen conductor, the sight of lush greenery in shades absent from any man made palette, the occasional glimpse of serene wildlife, and pretty darn fresh air for being in a Tampa zip code, you can't help but me in awe of it.
Over and over the last couple of months I've been pointed in the direction of pausing and soaking, realizing and thanking, noticing and appreciating. Sometimes when I'm searching for something internal or external, I need to learn that I really don't have to look all that far. My own amazingly complex body, my personal testimony, or my own backyard . . . I need go no further, it all points me in the same direction back to the One my eyes should have never left in the first place.
I love life lessons.
I just hope I can be a good student and make sure they stick.

No comments:
Post a Comment