Tuesday, June 30, 2009

8 days old

Our weight check at the doctor went well today, Elyse weighed in at 6lbs 15 oz which was an average weight gain of 2 ounces per day since her visit last week. It was reassuring to know that I was adequately supplying what she needs but sad to see that she is already growing so fast. Matt and I are both madly in love with this newborn stage, perhaps we'll say that about every phase, but this stage is so special and unique. Her whimpers melt our hearts and she is so easy to please and quick to settle. She seems to have a patient, gentle disposition but I imagine she is like a kaleidoscope....many facets and colors that will change as time turns pages and new images and characteristics unfold with each rotation.
Motherhood is already harder than I thought. She has a teary right eye that we pointed out to the doctor today that may be caused by a clogged or narrow tear duct. To treat this and help it along I have to massage the duct with a warm cloth several times a day and I don't think she likes it and that makes it hard for me. I guess that's what parenting is all about...doing things for your kids that they need but don't necessarily like. Removing splinters, treating rashes, comforting hurts, mending scrapes, and spanking hinies....I'm learning that massaging a tear duct is a nice way to ease into things.
I thought this was a nice picture of Matt's dad (Elyse's Opa) and Elyse exchanging thoughts.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
This blog is my hope to somehow capture moments that would have otherwise passed unnoticed, gone by simply dismissed as mundane life. I'm just a girl who adores her husband, I love the job I get paid for and am inspired by the ones I don't. I love that God has designed my life as a perfect fit for me and today I get to live it!