So, I'm a good 80 pages into The Power of Positive Parenting and several chapters into Shepherding a Child's Heart. I'm amazed. I'm so glad I decided to seek recommendations from friends and dive right in. At first it was very overwhelming and frankly it still is but it definitely feels a lot less "fly by the seat of my pants" because I already feel a bit more prepared (if there is such a thing). I can attempt to parent with purpose.
I was stirred. I needed guidance. As I noticed potential situations with Elyse or I witnessed them with other parents and their children I would often ask myself how I would handle this or that. I didn't like my gut responses but I didn't know any other way. I felt like I knew more about how I didn't want to parent than how I did. I knew there had to be a better way for my specific family and our children but I didn't know what that was, what it looked like, or how to get there. I'm feeling better now. I'm gaining understanding and confidence. I have a very long way to go on a road with no end in sight but at least I'm on the road instead of wandering in the middle of the woods with my thumb stuck out like a hitchhiker. That gives me such a visual and it's exactly what I was doing. Thankfully I was prompted and directed.
I'm awaiting Boundaries with Kids , The New Dare to Discipline , 1-2-3 Magic: Effective Discipline for Children 2-12 (I'm already skeptical of this one because I don't think "magic" will have anything to do with discipline but it was highly recommended so I'll give it a try), and Bringing Up Girls: Practical Advice and Encouragement for Those Shaping the Next Generation of Women.
I'm sure these books will contradict each other so I anticipate my next struggle will be filtering through it all, which I enjoy doing as long as I don't get too confused. I like reading different things from different perspectives with different rationales and then figuring out what I think and what I believe will work for us. I did the same thing with child birthing, breastfeeding, and sleep training books. However, the difference with this is that it's more of a lifestyle than it is anything else. Child birthing starts and ends as does breastfeeding and certain aspects of sleep training. I'll be parenting as long as I'm alive which intimidates me more than I know how to describe. It won't be perfect, it won't be pretty, but I'm trying and that has to be worth something, right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2010
(130)
-
▼
May
(13)
- Just jumping on to post a couple of my favorites f...
- We're all settled in at the beach. It already feel...
- The new Florida palm tree
- This one nap a day thing is something that I think...
- Quick updates
- Irony
- Weekend Away
- Chicken Tetrazzini: I vote no repeat, Matt votes ...
- By 9:30am this morning much had been accomplished....
- Random
- So, I'm a good 80 pages into The Power of Positive...
- I don't trust myself
- I truly enjoy taking pictures and would love to de...
-
▼
May
(13)
About Me
- Ursula
- This blog is my hope to somehow capture moments that would have otherwise passed unnoticed, gone by simply dismissed as mundane life. I'm just a girl who adores her husband, I love the job I get paid for and am inspired by the ones I don't. I love that God has designed my life as a perfect fit for me and today I get to live it!
No comments:
Post a Comment