Monday, August 13, 2012

Happy in my Kitchen

I've baked and cooked more in the past 2 weeks than I have in the previous several months combined.  I'm loving it.  I don't know why I just discovered this entirely new outlook on it or exactly what was missing before, but I'm ecstatic in my messy kitchen.

Some recipes didn't go over so well (sweet beet cookies and carrot ginger sauce) while others were big hits (carrot snack sticks, sweet potato mini muffins, and blueberry cheesecake bites).  Tonight it's eggplant burgers and Matt is as excited about them as you would expect a meat and potatoes man to be.  Something we both really enjoyed, stir fried chicken in lettuce cups!  That's worth a whirl if you want something a little different.  I'm going to try my luck on tofu mac n' cheese with Elyse and continue to be thankful Adley has and will eat everything I've mentioned.  Maybe that's why I've been so excited to cook, Adley and I will eat just about anything so nothing is being wasted even if a toddler nose snubs it.  I'm also allowing myself more mistakes and not getting crumbled along with a poorly formed crust.

Our grocery bill has sky-rocketed so I'm going to have to work on that.  I have minimal kitchen utensils so I'm trying to borrow what I can from friends and neighbors until I can slowly build my own stash of goodies.  Next on my wish list is a rolling pin and a garlic press......can you believe I don't own those?!

I think I've gone a little overboard with Elyse though.  I made granola bars and oatmeal on-the-go bars in the same afternoon as kiwi-pea pops.  She is having fun cooking but getting very leery of sampling at this point. Hence the good ole' mac n' cheese tonight.

It's ironic though.  Our pantry, produce bowls, refrigerator and freezer are more full than they've ever been.  I got eggs as close to coming out of a chicken's behind as I've ever had thus far, some local honey and a lot of information.  I did some online shopping for new clothes and placed a large order for household things on Amazon.  However, I'm also reading a book about human trafficking, how deep it's roots are and rampant it's evil.  I've been brought to tears reading about situations my mind cannot form images for and my heart cannot comprehend.

I live in abundance.  I am abundantly loved, I share in security, devotion and live in my land of plenty.  I know no suffering nor do I feel threatened or in danger.  I am comfortable.  Too comfortable.

The message at church on Sunday was about Paul telling the Church in Corinth that to grow they needed to serve and how vital that was to the body of Christ.  It was a simple message, but one that was for me.

I have 2 small children and a traveling husband.  My hands often feel very full but I believe I have so much room for more if I'm shown the right fit.  It's out there.  I know it is.  I plan to diligently seek it out, oh, and I don't think it's in my kitchen but I'll still cook ;-).

No comments:

About Me

My photo
This blog is my hope to somehow capture moments that would have otherwise passed unnoticed, gone by simply dismissed as mundane life. I'm just a girl who adores her husband, I love the job I get paid for and am inspired by the ones I don't. I love that God has designed my life as a perfect fit for me and today I get to live it!