Babies, other kids, and people in general crying or getting upset is very unsettling for Elyse. She gets anxious, clingy and upset herself. In preparing Elyse for Adley's arrival and having a crying baby around I explained to her that babies cry because they don't have words. Which coincided with times when she would whine or cry and we would ask her to use her words. This seemed to really help her understand a little more why babies cried. Before Adley arrived when other toddlers cried she would come to me and tell me, "He doesn't have words!" When she would cry she would tell me she didn't have words. It was pretty cute.
Tonight when I was putting her to bed and it was time to pray, I asked her what she would like to pray about. She said, "God". I asked her what she would like to pray to God about, she said "Adley". I thought that was so sweet that she wanted to pray for her little sister! I began to pray and then I paused and asked her what she wanted to pray to about Adley, she said "That she would have words".
I had to snicker inside and appreciate her honesty. She doesn't like to hear her cry and would like Adley to hurry up and learn some words. I, on the other hand, would like these simple newborn days to linger. Part of me feels guilty saying this, but the rest of me knows it's the honest truth, Adley is such an easy, content baby, Elyse was not. They could both be described as easy to love, delightful, fearfully and wonderfully made perfect miracles designed for us........they have just been such different babies. Elyse, as a newborn, caused me to question if there would ever be a second child. Adley's arrival has created an intense desire in my heart to have a third. God is using both of them to teach me so much.
Elyse is teaching me persistence and consistency along with approaching the throne boldly and honestly. Adley is reminding me not to take life too seriously and sometimes the best view comes from passively watching from the side instead of being right in the middle of the mix. I'm in awe of how different these girls are and excited to see them unfold!
A few pictures:
Matt and I went out on a date night to celebrate our 4 year anniversary this last Saturday while my mom watched the girls. He planned a wonderful evening with multiple locations, it was wonderful! He did such a great job and I was so thankful for the time together. We stayed up way too late, but it was worth it!
Little Adley's eyes finding the fan.
Elyse on a ride at the park. We met some former co-workers of mine at the Longleaf park. When the 4 of us met there weren't any kids, today there are 9 with another one on the way!
My attempt at dressing them in matching outfits and getting a picture. It didn't turn out perfect, but I'm still a fan.

No comments:
Post a Comment