Our yard sale went well. I was up a little before 6am setting things up and Matt manned the sale while my mom, my friend Loren, and I hit the streets to treasure hunt ourselves.
We had to drop a car load off back home before we even got off our block.....even I was surprised by that!
Plasma car, wood doll house, Little Tikes driving car, puzzles, board games, Disney dolls, Littlest Pet Shop stuff galore, an authentic kids golf set, a bean bag chair, clothes with the tags still on, bean bag toss, an Ariel doll for the pool, the list goes on and on. My mom bought some things and I was proud of the mere $42 I spent. Elyse got more this weekend than she did for Christmas. It was incredible.
One of our first stops was my MOMS Club bake sale for Share Our Strength. We raised over $230 to help end childhood hunger in America and enjoyed some delicious, homemade treats in the process.
The evening my mom hung around so Matt and I could enjoy a date night, those are always nice.
It was a long, fun day and we hope to do it all again (sans our yard sale) when it rolls around again in 6 months.
Sunday Matt's firm, KPMG, had their annual family picnic and this year it was at the beach. My mom was gracious enough to watch Adley, so Matt and I had a little date day with Elyse. One potty stop, one stop at a tile store, one stop to put air in my tires and eventually we were at St. Pete Beach enjoying the sun, sand, Sonny's BBQ and great company of his great company (ha. ha).
Yesterday was chores galore as I scrubbed floors, did laundry, caught up on emails, etc.
Switching thoughts.......
I've struggled with parenting again lately. Elyse exhibiting her will, me declaring who's in charge. Late one evening I was online reviewing parenting books and planning my next several to purchase. I'd gotten away from reading them lately and I felt it was time to seek out wisdom for the new stage we were in. I had several in my cart on Amazon when that still small voice spoke, "You know how to parent her." I paused and pondered. I was instantly reminded that I had a plethora of knowledge and even some experience under my belt when it came to Elyse and I knew what to do, I just needed to be consistent. All the knowledge and wisdom I could hope for do no good if I don't apply them consistently and with the right heart.
I didn't order any books.
I need the self-discipline and self-control to carry out what I already know to be true. Only then will I see the results I hope for in my precious little person who is relying so heavily on me in this.
For years I've had to learn to tame my emotions, not let them be the driving force of actions in anything, but especially parenting. I've had to learn how to handle conflict in a different manner than ways I'd known and been shown in many years past. It's still a struggle, but I've come so very far in this. I can go further though. I will go further.
Over and over I become more and more thankful for grace in this process. That each inconsistency, each failed trial, each situation handled wrongly, are not permanent, not irreversibly damaging and certainly not defining. Each day is fresh with new situations, new challenges and new opportunities to do my best and use the wisdom I've been given.
When a challenge arises I will silence my fears and emotions and allow that still small voice to speak and guide me.
Nope. I don't need another book right now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Ursula
- This blog is my hope to somehow capture moments that would have otherwise passed unnoticed, gone by simply dismissed as mundane life. I'm just a girl who adores her husband, I love the job I get paid for and am inspired by the ones I don't. I love that God has designed my life as a perfect fit for me and today I get to live it!
2 comments:
You most certainly know how to parent your girls. The only book you should be consulting is the Borrack Book!!! Do what is best for you and your girls and the rest will fall into place. Both girls appear to be happy, healthy and well behaved... what more could a mother ask for? =)
Love this!
Post a Comment