Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Light, easy, yummy!


I don't post recipes too often but I'm on a kick of trying new things again.  This usually happens when Matt's travel slows down a bit and he's home to eat dinner with us.  So forgive me for the recipes.  

It's hot here.  Dinners are often on the warm side as well, so I opted for one of my favorite lunch foods that is often served chilled. Tuna salad (on a bed of crispy lettuce, stuffed in a pepper, filling a pita or wrapped in a tortilla) is a meal I love to order on the beach or sitting outside.  It makes me think of summer and with a heat index of 100 degrees, it is definitely summer.

Tuscan-Style Tuna Salad

This streamlined version of a northern Italian idea is perfect for a summer evening: no-fuss, no-cook and big taste. You can even make it ahead and store it, covered, in the refrigerator for several days. If you do, use it as a wrap filling for the next day's lunch.  I just love fast, easy, light and tasty!

Ingredients
  • 2 6-ounce cans chunk light tuna, drained
  • 1 15-ounce can small white beans, such as cannellini or great northern, rinsed
  • 10 cherry tomatoes, quartered
  • 4 scallions, trimmed and sliced
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • Freshly ground pepper, to taste

Preparation

  1. Combine tuna, beans, tomatoes, scallions, oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir gently. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

I placed our tuna salad in a basil pesto wrap spread with a thin layer of hummus.  This will likely go on our weekly rotation for multiple reasons.  Vegetarian version: ditch the tuna. Add feta. Pinch of oregano. Perfect served inside pitas.  Enjoy!



    1 comment:

    Jessica K said...

    Sounds so good! Love the vegetarian idea as well! Thanks for sharing.

    About Me

    My photo
    This blog is my hope to somehow capture moments that would have otherwise passed unnoticed, gone by simply dismissed as mundane life. I'm just a girl who adores her husband, I love the job I get paid for and am inspired by the ones I don't. I love that God has designed my life as a perfect fit for me and today I get to live it!