Sunday, March 22, 2009

When God smiles


Ok, last weekend was really good and this weekend was just as wonderful.....I love any weekend, but God really smiled on this one. With the weather we've been given lately it would honestly take more of an effort to have a bad weekend than a good one anyway. Relaxation and productivity, intimate time and time with friends, amazing dinner out and a home cooked one in, beach and chores, indoors and out, natural ocean wonders with sand between our toes and a man-made movie on the couch. We truly got the best of all sorts of worlds in just 2 days, I just loved it.

Saturday we went out to Madeira to enjoy the beach like we so often do this time of year. It was much busier than normal due to various spring breakers. Although it was much more crowded we still found a perfect spot in the sand and the additional beach goers made for great people watching. Later in the afternoon we met up with some friends from that area and went boating for bit. This is no exaggeration when I say this.....we probably saw at least 16 dolphins on several separate occasions that day, some just an arms reach away from the boat, others playfully jumping just in front of the sun as it set that evening. Several times I thought ...."I need to grab my camera" but I never reached for it knowing it would likely cause me to miss the moment altogether, so I just sat, enjoyed, and absorbed the sights and sounds that some people may never get to experience in their life. Watching dolphins frolic in their natural environment unscathed by the destructive touch of man while sitting beside my incredible husband as our daughter grows within my womb surrounded by friends on a boat in the beautiful Gulf of Mexico....have I seriously been given all of this? No, I don't take any of this for granted and I don't doubt for one second that these blessings come from the God who must realize that I'm trying to live a life that honors Him. I'm not perfect, never will be. I seldom get it right and I stumble at every corner. There are so many flaws in my character and wrinkles in my attitude, but regardless I remain His child. I carry around numerous short comings and a heart full of good intentions that seldom make it to fruition....but I try, and I believe it's noticed. I consult Him for my steps and I tearfully hand Him my burdens to solve because I know if left to me, I just don't have the answers. I could never have envisioned my life being as fully blessed as it is. A whole lot less than this would consitute a "good day" and this has far exceeded any expectations and I am anything but worthy.

I may not be worthy, but I am grateful. After a gorgeous sunset the icing on the cake was dinner at a local hole in the wall type place where the menu changes daily with whatever the divers catch that day. Items are scratched of the menu as they sell out and we barely made it for an amazing dinner of cracked conch and wahoo. We topped dinner off with homemade ice cream at a local Amish store where they promised me free ice cream if we come back and bring the baby....I will be taking them up on this offer.

After a relaxing vacation day like Saturday, Sunday found us ready to work. Matt did some much needed gardening in an area that definitely showed our neglect as I puttered around the house doing needed chores to keep the ship running smoothly. Dinner cooked in the crock pot and as the housework and gardening came to a close the air was thick with the aroma of flavorful chicken, letting us know it was time to wind down and eat.

As always, Sunday ends with a movie on the couch and as I whisper my goodbyes to another weekend past I'm overwhelmed with this life that I've been given. In a world filled with negativity I'm thankful I have the ability to recognize when God's smile paints the perfect weekend tailor made for me and the wisdom to know that's exactly what it is.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
This blog is my hope to somehow capture moments that would have otherwise passed unnoticed, gone by simply dismissed as mundane life. I'm just a girl who adores her husband, I love the job I get paid for and am inspired by the ones I don't. I love that God has designed my life as a perfect fit for me and today I get to live it!